Sunday, September 19, 2010

My Pet Leezard

It's 11:40 pm CST and I should be sleeping.  Tomorrow I am to impart my wisdom of interview skills to 10-15 Aggies by conducting mock interviews.  Rather than turn off the lights (and the current showing of Criminal Minds) I've been inspired by my good friend and former officemate, Amanda Joiner, to start my very own blog!

I know absolutely nothing about blogging.  In fact, Amanda's blog is probably the only one I've ever truly read.  I thought about introducing myself and talking about my reasons for starting a blog, but I decided instead to introduce you to my pet Leezard!

My husband Jason and I were married back in January of this year.  I never thought in a million years that I would inherit a reptile for a pet, but here I am.  I am now the proud owner of an albino leopard gecko named Leezard.  Leezard is almost 4 years old and despite the "albino" part of his title he is a beautiful mixture of yellow, brown and a purplish/pinkish color.





When Jason and I started dating and he took me home to meet his gecko (okay so he didn't literally take me home just to meet his gecko) I thought he was the ugliest thing I had ever seen.  Needless to say I am not the biggest fan of reptiles so it took a while before I warmed up to him.  It was well over 6 months into our relationship before I agreed to touch Leezard - with one finger only of course! 


About a year into dating Jason, I decided it was time for the next step in our relationship.  I went to Jason with my hands extended and said the words I'm sure most guys wants to hear "I think I'm ready."  Confused, yet interested, Jason's reply was "Okay....ready for what?"  I answered, "I am ready to hold Leezard."  He laughed and proceeded with helping to place Leezard in my hands.


Most people are surprised when I tell them I have a pet gecko.  I'm really more of the cat type and I dislike slimy/scaly things (I don't even eat fish).  I have to admit that Leezard is pretty cool.  He's hand trained so I never have to be scared picking him up.  He keeps me company when Jason travels (in an I sit in the bed and he just hangs out in his cage kind of way) and I often refer to him as Leezard Boo.  I am a pro at feeding him crickets and I do my best to do so with out actually touching them.

I chose Leezard as the topic of my first blog because on Friday, I bought him a new rock for his cage and it makes me happy to see him enjoying it.  I was a little worried he was getting bored with his old set up.  As I am approaching 12:30 am I think it is time for me to bid goodnight.  Leezard however will be awake until the morning.

5 comments:

  1. Welcome to the blogging world Sarah! Hope all is well! We will be at the OU tailgate this year, hope to see you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. GOOD POST! :) I'm into Amanda's blog too! It cracks me up! I also like the blog of Allie Brosh. It's called "Hyperbole and A Half" and it is ridiculous. Keep on working on it! :)

    -Lizzie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sarah I had no idea you had a reptile! Did you know that Chelsea has had a Uromastyx (spiky tailed lizard) and a Blue Tongued Skink (big snaky thing with legs and blue tongue, lol)for many years? She has even fed them "pinky" mice, have you tried that yet? tee-hee? Love, Aunt Karen

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ha I love it! So glad that I could help inspire you, and looking forward to reading more :)

    I do have one question though- why is his tail bulging like that in the first picture?!

    Oh, and for the record, my brother at one point had TWENTY pets when we were younger, including several lizards, frogs, turtles, and snakes- they also grossed me out at first, but I eventually warmed up to most of them :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tina I will make sure to be there so I can see y'all!! So excited!

    Lizzie, I will have to check it out! :)

    Aunt Karen I did not know that Chelsea had reptiles as well. I can tell you that there is NO way I will ever feed Leezard pinky mice. I think crickets are my limit :)

    Amanda his tail is bulging because it is used as a defense mechanism. If a predator attacks the gecko then he might mistake the tail for the head since they are similar in shape. The gecko can drop his tail (which is very painful for them to do) and run away. Leezard doesn't have many predators in his cage so he has never had to drop his tail.

    ReplyDelete