Wednesday, January 5, 2011

The 31 Day H2O Challenge

I am not a strong believer in New Year's resolutions.  I think by using the label "New Year's resolution" we tend to think short term, or at least set goals that turn into a change that lasts only a few weeks.  There are a few people out there who can make resolutions each year and remain devoted, but let’s be honest, how often does that happen?

I've decided to make a few "changes" starting this month.   For the month of January, I've decided to give up all beverages besides water.  I knew this would be a difficult endeavor, but I think I may have underestimated exactly how hard it would be!

I've noticed over the past year I've been taking in a lot more caffeine drinks and a LOT less water.  For those of you who know me well, I enjoy my Tall Skinny Vanilla Latte from Starbucks two-three times per week.  I enjoy tea with some meals and diet coke with others.  It is so much tastier to reach for any of these things rather than water.

The first day wasn't horrible but I got a headache later in the evening.  My headache lasted ALL day on Sunday.  Monday was a lot better and though the headache was gone there was still a bit of pressure in my head.  Today no headaches but the cravings are still there and I know they are there simply because I want what I can't have.

There are several reasons as to why I decided to make this change for the month of January.  One reason is of course because water is much healthier than most other beverages.  Another reason is because I will save quite a bit of money.  The reason I feel keeps me going is that I look at this as a type of fasting.  I'm doing without something that I love and every time I think about how much I want to drink something other than water, it reminds me of God!

At first I thought I would just give up caffeine drinks, and then I realized there were a lot of ways around this.  Instead of a latte, I could get hot chocolate or I can reach for the caffeine free diet coke and tea.  How would this really be of benefit?

I am going to stay strong and make it through the month!

Next month…sweets!

2 comments:

  1. You are so right! Our posts are so similar it is scary. haha! I miss you. It's too bad we are not near each other doing this together! Encouragment is required for this. I'll send you some notes, and you can check on me too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can do it! I have faith in you :) Since I'm an H2O person myself, I am happy to support you in this quest, but I'm not sure how supportive I'll be able to be when you give up sweets... that's a tough one!!

    ReplyDelete